We headed South into Dallas around 7:30, I had no idea that Lourdes had NEVER driven in the snow. I guess I should have known a Cuban from Miami wouldn't normally have that skill. But she did quiet well and I rewarded her with a Cafe Mocha when we got there.
The traffic wasn't too bad, most people were being on their best behavior.
Except when everyone spots the news crew parked on the overpass and they try positioning their car to get on camera. Why? No one is home watching.
Driving through University Park and Highland Park was really nice. The homes there are nice to look at even when it's not snowy, but today made them look like a winter storybook village.
The workshop was relatively informative and we learned some things about being an "Indispensable Assistant" even if everyone in the room was thinking about the weather and our drive home.
I know some of you are wondering 'what's the big deal?' We just don't get snow like this in Texas. If we do get White Weather, it's in the form of ice, as in sleet and freezing rain. We get slammed with weather that will have you slip sliding down the road even if you don't touch your accelerator. When we see white flake falling we go into shut down mode.
So at 6:45 this morning I was at the school waiting for Lourdes to pick me up and answering the phone to call after call of "are we having school today?" "Las clases hoy?" "No escuela si?" To which I had the pleasure of saying, "yes we will have school today at the regular time, please leave early and be careful." "Si clases hoy, hora regular!" Needless to say, they were disappointed. Maybe we can do something about that tomorrow.
In the workshop this afternoon, Maria and I got phone messages from the district that school would begin 2 hours late tomorrow. That's going to be iffy.... all this slush is going to freeze tonight and we are supposed to have at least 4 more hours of it coming down.
This is Work Maria making a little extra cash before we headed home. You can't say she's not industrious.
Doesn't SMU look nice in the snow?
My favorite overpass system in the snow....
Over the
And at home in the backyard.... 5 inches of snow and piling up.
Stay warm.









2 comments:
I never realized, until this year, that it ever snowed in Dallas! Is this common for winter there? My husband is heading there next week for business. So, we've been watching your weather even more closely. Drive safely and stay warm!
A-O, we never get through winter without seeing a little white stuff. But it's usually in the form of ice. This is VERY rare and we broke a record last night with the amount.
Post a Comment