Did you ever run the hurdles? It's not fun, at least I didn't think it was... they keep popping up in front of you. It's hard to get your stride down, your back knee will clip them just when you think your over. Scratches and scabs... I remember that....
I sure hope Jody is better at it than me. This next step of the treatment is going to be a big hurdle. He saw the Radiologist yesterday. A couple of the things they talked about (the things he told Jolea and I about, I wasn't allowed to go) was that instead of 15 treatments, they may want to do 20, because of where the cancer was located in his sinuses and throat. They also suggested he may need a feeding tube before it's all over with. My stubborn husband says "NO." "You are not putting another thing in my body, and when are you taking this port out?" Did I mention he was stubborn? Maybe he should talk to his Uncle who is recovering from Esophageal Cancer, he had to have a feeding tube. But then again Jody doesn't like to talk to other people about their experiences... says everyone experiences things differently and why get any preconceived notions that are not going to make any difference in you. This is why he won't go to any of those group meetings. Do you think he's stubborn? Maybe it's just determination.
They molded some sort of "Hannibal Lecter" mask to Jody's face yesterday and gave him his little two dot tattoo. Jolea is so proud that another family member now has ink. Jody said it really hurt. I'm thinking he should have had a couple of shots of whiskey before getting a tattoo, it's not even near being a skull and cross bones. I guess they aren't going to make him walk around for 4 weeks with Sharpie marks all over his face.
Jolea was encouraging when Jody was discussing the feeding tube... "You can just drink chocolate milk shakes!" I know she's thinking Blue Bell Ice Cream by the truck load. We'll just do what we have to do and jump those hurdles when we come to them...
By the way... the Ardmore guitar deal fell through. We're not going. It's just as well, Jolea would have been a cripple after the 4 hour trip, squashed in the back compartment of the truck. Thank goodness Jody and his friend Dave have the internet to shop for collectible guitars. It gives him something to do other than worry about feeding tubes. And when Jody gets on the road he has a sort of out of body experience and zones in on things that may be on his mind. He is sometimes startled when he realizes I'm in the truck with him. (I was looking forward to my own out of house experience and getting some serious knitting done.) Oh well, everything happens for a reason.... Jolea wants to make a Pecan Pie today. It will be her first. I've NEVER made a Pecan Pie... too scared, I have the impression it's difficult, Mom would have trouble from time to time and they wouldn't 'set'. And if it was difficult for Mom then it was sure to be a flop for me. Besides, I'm the only one who would eat it and I DON'T need a whole pie.
Oh my gosh... it's Jody's birthday! He's 49 and holding. Time to get everyone up and rolling... we're wasting daylight.
4 comments:
It's hard to know what to write because well, dayam, you guys are going through well, dayam.
Thing is, and Jody's proved this before, he'll end up doing what it takes, or that's my impression of the trooper, but in the meantime is frank enough to talk about what he is thinks about what they are suggesting, and hey, who wouldn't say 'no', but if it ends up being a case of well, you should, if you know what's good for you, then I think it will all fit in and it won't be as bad as it sounds, and the road to complete recovery will become more and more paved.
There was stuff I didn't want - like needles in my stomach - but when it came down to it, I saw it all as necessary for the recovery to continue, so I'd be like, 'stick it to me', even though I hid my stomach behind a pillow and had to count to ten and take deep breaths before they'd do it and I'd have given the go ahead with a'right, now, when I close my eyes and start humming loudly.'
So hang in there, Jody, you'll do fine, it's nearly over, and Happy Birthday.
:)
Hope so, he spoke about not doing the radiation at all tonight.
Oh boy. Feeding tube - what a horrible thing to be "threatened/warned" about. I hope it doesn't go that way.
Happy birthday to him - glad your daughter is there to keep him lighthearted (or maybe drive him crazy!). He's a pup - 49! Well an older pup than me, but younger pup than Jim... Enjoy his day and hang in there.
Thanks ya'll, we had quiet a few laughs yesterday, thanks to Jolea.
Post a Comment